Transgender Documentation Change Primer

Documentation changes for transgender and gender diverse people in Oregon can be a cumbersome and costly process. To help you better understand what needs to be done we’ve compiled the following list of the common documentation changes needed, the process required to obtain them, and their associated cost.

Last Updated 4/26/18
Available online at

What do you need to change?

What order do you change it?

If you were born in Oregon and DO NOT yet have a passport the order listed above (License, Birth Cert, Social Security, Passport) is the order to go through. Because of HB2673 that went into effect January 1st, 2018 you do not need to go through the courts to change your information.

If you were born in Oregon and DO have a passport (which will need amended) the order is to change your name/gender through the courts, then follow the same list above. To amend your passport you will be required to show a court ordered name/gender change.

If you were NOT born in Oregon the first order of operations is to check what your state’s process is for updating your birth certificate. To check your state’s process see HERE. Most states require a court ordered name/gender change to update a birth certificate. In most cases the order of operations will be to get a court ordered name/gender change, update the DMV, update birth certificate, update social security, get/update passport.

What forms do I use?

Name/Gender change forms for the courts in Oregon

Fee = $119 (there is an additional $5.25 charge for copies that you will have to provide)


Information about process and FAQ

Drivers License (or DMV record change)

Fee = $40-$120 depending on type of ID

Required documentation

Birth Certificate

Oregon Birth Certificates

Fee = $35 amendment fee + $25 copy fee

Required documentation:

Birth Certificates from Other States

Check out what the fees and process looks like in your state here:

Social Security

Fee = $0

Required documentation:

    • Evidence of Age (drivers license, state-issued ID card, or passport)
    • Evidence of Identity (drivers license, state-issued ID card, or passport)
    • Evidence of Citizenship (birth certificate, passport, certificate of citizenship, or certificate of naturalization)
    • Evidence of Immigration Status (if applicable)
    • Court ordered gender change declaration
    • Application for a Social Security Card document:


Fee = $55-165 depending on type of change and type of passport (book, card, or both) + any doctor fees

Required documentation:

    • New Passport
    • Application for U.S. Passport Form DS-11:
    • Proof of Citizenship (birth certificate, previous passport, certificate of naturalization, or report of birth abroad)
    • Proof of Identity that contains your signature and photograph (previous passport, driver’s license, certificate of naturalization, military identification, or government employee ID card)
    • Two recent color photographs (headshot) that are 2×2 inches in size

Updating Existing Passport

    • All of the above referenced for a New Passport
    • Court ordered name change declaration
    • A physician’s letter confirming your gender transition (doctor visit to obtain letter will have an associated cost).
    • The physician’s letter MUST include:
      • Physician’s full name and medical license/certificate number
      • It must be an original on letterhead
      • Issuing state of medical license
      • Address and telephone number of the physician
      • Language stating that they have treated you or have reviewed and evaluated your medical history and that they have a doc/patient relationship with you;
      • Language stating that you have have “completed  appropriate clinical treatment for transition to the new gender” (the new gender MUST be stated) and;
      • The statement must clearly include the following sentence; “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the UNited States that the foregoing is true and correct.”

Need financial assistance to get your documentation changed?

Check out the following resources to get financial help.

Trans Assistance Project

TransPonder Financial Assistance Application

Who to contact if you need special assistance or legal advice around changing your documentation?

Basic Rights Oregon

ACLU Oregon

National Center for Transgender Equality

Transgender Law Center

Lambda Legal


Basic Rights Oregon Resources

Lane County Court info:

Oregon DMV ID change guidance:

Oregon Health Authority birth certificate guidance:

National Center for Transgender Equality Passport info/guidance:

U.S. Department of State guidance:

Document laws by state:

National Center for Transgender Equality Social Security info/guidance:

Social Security Administration Information: